Greetings Pack 428!
We hope you are all getting settled into your new routines. The pack had a great time camping at the Lions Youth Center this past weekend. If you weren’t able to join us, try to catch the next pack camping trip in May. Camping is a big part of scouts, and the group has so much fun!
We are still signing up new scouts, so if you know anyone interested in scouting, please invite them to our Recycling Regatta Pack Meeting on October 16 at 6:30PM at Ben Rush Elementary (6101 152nd Ave NE, Redmond). You can also put potential scouts in touch with our recruiting chair, Melinda Gray, at email@example.com or have them check out our website at www.pack428.com.
Remember to CLEAN and save your best recyclables for making boats at our October pack meeting. Think materials that will float and make great little raingutter-sized sailboats. This is a very fun activity!
Saturday, October 12, 3:00-5:00pm
Pack Outing: Ballard Locks Tour
Officially known as the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, the Ballard Locks are one of Seattle’s most popular tourist attractions. Completed in 1917, the locks link the Puget Sound with Lake Union and Lake Washington. Find out how the locks work, how they were constructed and how they are maintained on a private tour. We will also learn about the salmon migration and may get to see some fish migrating to the University of Washington Salmon Hatchery! Tour is from 3:30-4:30. Don’t be late!
Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0f4caaae22a6f85-tour
Ballard Locks Visitor Center
3015 NW 54th St., Seattle, WA 98017
Wednesday, October 16, 6:30-8:00 at Ben Rush Elementary Commons
Pack Meeting: Recycling Regatta
Back by popular demand, we are hosting our 7th annual Recycling Regatta! The scouts will use their creative genius to turn ordinary recycle items into boats. They will test their skills to see if their creation floats, and then they will attempt to race it down our inflatable track using wind power generated through straws! We had some awesome creations last year and are really looking forward to seeing their creative genius at work again!
A few ground rules:
- Each scout must bring in CLEAN recycling material: plastics and cartons of various sizes and shapes work great. NO tin cans and NO glass. And, seriously, make sure it is clean! Gallon size milk containers are too big. Plastic soda/water bottles work great!
- The boat must be built at the Pack Meeting.
- The Pack will provide duct tape, hot glue guns, corks and popsicle sticks.
- Encourage your scout to look through your recycling materials in the coming weeks and pick out things that he or she could use. Get the imagination spinning with ideas for this fun project. START COLLECTING GREAT RECYCLABLES!!
- We will set up work stations by dens. The scouts will take their recycling materials to their tables to share with their dens. Each den will have its own hot glue gun and duct tape. We will need parent volunteers to supervise the hot glue guns and duct tape use at each table.
Dues! If you haven’t already paid your dues, be sure to bring your check and get them paid by this meeting. $100/$80 (Lions), payable to Pack 428. If you haven’t updated your scout’s health form, we will have those on hand too. Let’s make Mark Nelson’s job easy get those dues taken care of! Thanks!
If the fees are a hardship for your family, please contact Mark Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention Microsoft Employees!
For Microsoft employees volunteering with Pack 428, be sure to record your volunteer hours to collect matching dollars. These donations keep our scout fees low and make scouting affordable for as many kids as possible.
- Go to http://give and choose Match Time, or go directly to https://microsoft.benevity.org/volunteer/external/track
- Search for the cause “Pack 428”
- Choose Cub Scout Pack 428 via Lake Washington United Methodist Church and click Add
- Enter your hours, volunteer dates and description of work, then Confirm
- If you are regularly volunteering time, please get in the habit of recording your hours each quarter, as it helps the pack manage the budget.
A Look Ahead
Our pack meeting for November will focus on first aid skills and preparedness. Our pack outing will be to the Flying Heritage Museum in Everett. Look for more details and signups for the outing to come soon.
Calendar and Communications
We have a Google calendar that is kept up to date, always accessible at our website, pack428.com. There are also instructions on how to subscribe directly to the calendar here: https://pack428.com/events/. If you happen to delete your newsletter (*gasp*) and need to refer to it, it is also always posted on our website.
Our private Facebook group is a place where we celebrate events and achievements of the scouts and post more photos. https://www.facebook.com/groups/pack428/
Questions? Please contact:
Pack 428 Committee Chair