Greetings Pack 428!
We hope you are all getting settled into your new routines. We had a great turn out at our camping outing last weekend, and we were amazed to see so many families at our first pack meeting! We especially welcome our new scouts. We are still signing up scouts, so if you know anyone interested in scouting, please invite them to our Recycling Rally Pack Meeting on October 20 at 6:30PM at Ben Rush Elementary (6101 152nd Ave NE, Redmond). You can also point them to our website at www.pack428.com.
Remember to CLEAN and save your best recyclables for our Recycling Rally at our October pack meeting. This year we will be building bridges and towers. See below for details.
Wednesday, October 20, 6:30-8:00 at Ben Rush Elementary (Behind the School)
Pack Meeting: Recycling Rally – Bring Recyclables!
*Don’t forget: No bathrooms available!
A new twist on our recycling event this year is the Recycling Rally! Dens will compete to build the tallest tower or longest bridge out of recyclables. Let’s put their creative genius to work!
A few ground rules:
- Each scout must bring in CLEAN recycling material: plastics and cartons of various sizes and shapes work great. NO tin cans and NO glass. And, seriously, make sure it is clean!
- Try to bring a variety of items: plastic bottles and tubs, newspaper, small boxes, wrapping paper, cardboard.
- The Pack will provide duct tape and work space.
- Encourage your scout to look through your recycling materials in the coming weeks and pick out things that he or she could use. Get the imagination spinning with ideas for this fun project. START COLLECTING GREAT RECYCLABLES!!
- We will set up work stations by dens. The scouts will take their recycling materials to their tables to share with their dens. We will need parent volunteers to supervise duct tape use at each table (you know how duct tape can get out of hand!).
Dues! If you haven’t already paid your dues, be sure to bring your check and get them paid by this meeting. $100 payable to Pack 428. Cash is OK too. If the fees are a hardship for your family, please contact our treasurer us.
Clothing Swap! Bring old cub scout gear – out-grown shirts, old neckerchiefs for a clothing exchange.
Attention Microsoft Employees!
For Microsoft employees volunteering with Pack 428, be sure to record your volunteer hours to collect matching dollars. These donations keep our scout fees low and make scouting affordable for as many kids as possible.
- Go to https://microsoft.benevity.org/volunteer/external/track
- Search for the cause “Pack 428”
- Choose Cub Scout Pack 428 via Lake Washington United Methodist Church and click Add
- Enter your hours, volunteer dates and description of work, then Confirm
- If you are regularly volunteering time, please get in the habit of recording your hours each quarter, as it helps the pack manage the budget.
A Look Ahead
Our pack meeting for November will be at Marymoor Park from 7-8pm for field games. We will be learning how to play Cricket Kickball. Love Sports? Know how to play Kickball? Let me know. We need someone to help lead the November Pack meeting! Our pack outing is still being planned, but we will be going on a behind the scenes tour of Safeco Field. Stay tuned for specific dates/times!
We need a November and/or December Service project. We would love to give back to our community. If you have any ideas or would like to lead this effort, we would love your help! You will not be left to lead alone, so don’t worry. We are a Team. Don’t be afraid to reach out!
We have a Google calendar that is kept up to date, always accessible at our website, pack428.com. There are also instructions on how to subscribe directly to the calendar here: https://pack428.com/events/. If you happen to delete your newsletter (*gasp*) and need to refer to it, it is also always posted on our website.
Our private Facebook group is a place where we celebrate events and achievements of the scouts and post more photos. https://www.facebook.com/groups/pack428/. You can also get last minute reminders there.
Our pack committee is made up of various parents who have volunteered to give their time and talents to support the pack. We are always in need of more volunteers. We have space for regular and occasional volunteers. Our monthly committee meetings are open to ALL parents and you are encouraged to attend! The schedule can be found on our website: https://pack428.com/leadershipmeetings/. Our next meeting is Monday, November 1 at 6:30, via Skype.
DISTRICT NEWS AND EVENTS
Pack 428 is part of Chief Seattle Council. More information on all of the events mentioned below can be found at Home – Chief Seattle Council (seattlebsa.org).
2021 Program and Training Conference (Virtual)
Information and registration at: https://seattlebsa.org/training/ptc/
The Program & Training Conference is a one-stop training opportunity for ALL leaders and parents to get together and learn more about Scouting. You can learn EVERYTHING from the ABC’s of Cub Scouting down to planning a 50‐miler backpacking trip and everything fun in between!
This is a day camp sponsored by the district. We don’t attend as a pack, but it is tons of fun and your scout and family are welcome to join! Registration is on your own.
Give your Cub Scouts and their families and friends a spooky good time at Camp Halloween! Spend the day immersed in fun activities such as pumpkin decorating, Archery, BB Guns, haunted house visits and more!
Dates: October 9, 10, 16,17, 23, and 24
Cost: $35 per youth age 5 and up; $10 per adult, sibling under 5 purchasing lunch
Don’t miss out on this popular event – sign up today!
Note: Camp Halloween is using our new registration system Tentaroo – for individuals please create an account to register. If you have questions please contact us at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-725-0361.